- Job 100170 – ChilAngus Checker / Cashier
- Location: Schertz, TX
- Employment Type: Part-Time
- Salary: Competitive
- Reports to: Manager
To operate a cash register and check stand to provide the restaurant's customers with the most accurate and efficient checkout service possible; to perform stocking and other duties, as assigned, depending upon the amount of time available, business volume, and other criteria according to company policy; to ensure that the work shift contributes to the financial best interests of the restaurant.
Duties and Responsibilities
The essential duties and responsibilities of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Observe all restaurant rules and company policies;
- Maintain a neat, well-groomed personal appearance at all times and observe company dress regulations;
- Observe shift operating hours at all times as scheduled or assigned by restaurant manager;
- Adhere to all local, state and federal health and civil code regulations;
- Be qualified, knowledgeable, able and prepared to perform all of the duties of an experienced restaurant clerk when assigned or requested to do so;
- Clean check stands daily;
- Count cash drawer (i.e., perform a cash audit of the contents in assigned cash drawer at both the "start" and "end" of the actual work shift);
- Add up or record the purchases of a customer into a cash register efficiently and accurately;
- Collect money in the form of cash or checks from customers and tender accurate change in accordance with company policies and procedures;
- Process all of the various types of sales transactions accepted by the restaurant including but not necessarily limited to authorized Accounts Receivable sales, EFT transactions, WIC Coupons, Food Stamps, manufacturers' coupons, gift certificates, etc., in strict accordance with established company policies and procedures including full compliance with any legal requirements or regulations governing same;
- Process refunds, as applicable;
- Handle damaged or spoiled products and return-to-stocks ("go-backs") according to company policy;
- Comply fully with all safety policies and procedures; participate in restaurant's Safety Committee;
- Perform all front end duties according to company policies, procedures and practices;
- Assist in training personnel when assigned;
- Control excessive use of utilities and water and observe sound conservation practices;
- Perform other duties and assignments as directed;
- Greet all customers and provide them with prompt and courteous service or assistance.
- Record all shift hours worked on time card according to company policy and verify by signature the accuracy of all time worked;
- Ring all sales into cash register in accordance with Company cash handling procedures;
- Verify all customer IDs presented and observe store policies pertaining to the sale of alcoholic beverages;
- Notify manager promptly of any irregularities or discrepancies in the operating results of the applicable work shift for cash variations exceeding $ 5.00 (or the level that has been established by management for your particular restaurant or location);
- Use correct pricing as listed in the restaurant's Pricing Guide and ensure that all products or merchandise is properly priced;
- Record on designated forms any price discrepancies and/or any "not on file" items that are encountered on electronic point-of-sale terminals or computers; request price checks promptly on any such items according to company policy.
- Maintain general housekeeping and sanitation standards in compliance with restaurant policy and state and local health regulations on a regular, ongoing basis;
- Assist in keeping all checkout, sales and storage areas clean, clear and in good order;
- Use and maintain equipment in good working order and report any problems or malfunctions immediately to your supervisor.
- Adhere to company policy pertaining to excessive cash in registers and request cash pickups in accordance with such policy;
- Observe security standards by staying alert and being aware of customer actions and behavior; report to manager or security any abnormal behavior;
- Secure register at all times when leaving it unattended; protect company assets at all times.
- Assist in training co-workers when directed to do so;
- Maintain good communications in the department and throughout the organization;
- Notify department manager of personnel situations or policy violations having an adverse effect on restaurant operating performance or of situations requiring disciplinary action or that may potentially require such action.
REQUIREMENTS AND CONDITIONS (ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS):
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform all of the duties described in the preceding in an efficient and competent manner. The requirements and conditions listed below are representative of the minimum levels of knowledge, skill, experience, and/or ability required. Some requirements may be modified to accommodate individuals with disabilities:
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
- High school education preferred with successful completion of an apprenticeship/training program; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS:
- Be able to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, gross margins, percentages, ratios, and apply concepts of basic algebra in order to handle sales transactions, tender change, and verify vendor invoice charges and counts;
- Be able to accurately complete required reports including daily sales reports, inventory counts, receiving logs, and cash accountability or cash reconciliation and audit forms.
- Ability to hear, speak and understand the spoken word in order to respond promptly to pages for assistance, to accommodate verbal requests from customers for information or assistance, to answer telephones, and to be able to communicate effectively with department employees, the store's co-workers and customers;
- Ability to read, writes, analyze, interpret and understand the English language with sufficient proficiency in order to read and understand:
Ability to fill out forms properly and compose and write reports.
- Instructions for operating electronic equipment and tools
- Company handbooks, policies and procedures and
- Other written job-related documents including postings on company bulletin boards;
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in circumstances where only limited standardization may exist;
- Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in diagram, oral, schedule, or written forms.
OTHER SKILLS OR REQUIREMENTS:
- Be fully knowledgeable and thoroughly familiar with the types of merchandise carried in the store including pricing and family product differences in produce (e.g., apples and squashes) and departmental product differences (such as similar deli products that may be featured in both the grocery as well as meat departments);
- Be able to pass a standard drug test and qualify as being drug-free under the legal and medical guidelines permitted by the Drug Free Workplace;
- Be able to perform all duties and responsibilities in an efficient and satisfactory manner that meets the minimum standards for productivity, accuracy, cleanliness, harmony and safety established at the employer's individual site (normally measured but not necessarily limited to units of one or more of the following: total transaction throughput, unit time per task, sales per man-hour, and/or cases, units, tasks or pounds per man-hour).
The physical demands described below are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Some requirements may be modified to accommodate individuals with disabilities:
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand and use the hands to handle, finger, or feel objects, tools or controls;
- The employee must frequently walk, talk or hear, and reach with the hands and arms; occasionally, the employee must crouch or kneel;
- The employee must occasionally exert or lift up to 25 pounds carrying bulk or industrial-sized containers of grocery items (such as cartons of milk or drinking water, food, etc.) and frequently exert or lift moderate amounts of weight;
- Successful performance requires specific vision abilities that include close vision and the ability to adjust focus;
- Have sufficient visual acuity to check identification cards, checks, invoices and other written documents;
- Have sufficient physical mobility or agility to be able to respond quickly to fire or other emergencies such as cleanup requests (due to accidental spills or breakage of glass or plastic containers having liquid contents), shoplifting and other security assistance requests, customer accidents, etc.;
- Be able to work with fresh fruits, vegetables, and products without negative allergic consequences that adversely impact performance
- Be able to tolerate moderate amounts of dust and chemical fumes from common household cleaning agents such as ammonia during routine housekeeping duties;
- Have sufficient memory retention skills to memorize weekly display.
IMPORTANT DISCLAIMER NOTICE
The job duties, elements, responsibilities, skills, functions, experience, educational factors, and the requirements and conditions listed in this job description are representative only and not exhaustive of the tasks that an employee may be required to perform. The Employer reserves the right to revise this job description at any time and to require employees to perform other tasks as circumstances or conditions of its business, competitive considerations, or the work environment change.